Case Study 6 - The Wealthy Divorcees
- Mr & Mrs B were aged 48 and 52, in good health, with two teenage children. Mr B ran a successful business from land and buildings owned by one of his pension schemes. Substantial asset base.
- How to provide an adequate split of the assets which enabled Mr B to continue to run his business and Mrs B received a fair settlement.
- How to factor in the Irish pension which was not subject to UK law.
What We Did
- Advised share needed to be 54%:46% in Mrs B’s favour rising to 58%:42% ignoring the Irish pension.
- We advised that Mrs B needed to resign as a trustee from the pension plan to ensure Mr B had full control of his pension assets.
- A sharing order for 100% of Mrs B’s pension was drawn up in favour of Mr B.
- Mr B retained land and buildings within his pension and retained his business.
- Mrs B took the bulk of the other assets.
What Our Clients Say...
He delivered a thought provoking and eye opening session...I asked Phil to present at the Family Mediators Association Conference on Pension Freedoms within the context of divorce and financial settlements. He delivered a thought provoking and eye opening session full of ideas and case studies. The feedback I received from our delegates was extremely positive. If you are struggling with the challenges that pension freedoms throw up then Phil’s your man.
Do You Have A Question Related To This Case Study?
Use the form below to ask me anything about this case study. I promise that anything you say will be 100% confidential.