Case Study 9 - How to reduce pension sharing from £250,000 to £62,500
- Our client, Mr G approached us to assist with the preparation of his case for final hearing.
- He had significant deferred pension benefits in a supermarket final salary scheme. Cash Equivalent Transfer Value = £250,000.
- Mrs G had pension benefits within the Public Sector.
- Mr G was now a member of the supermarket’s group personal pension and understands that it would be very difficult to build up any lost benefits to pension sharing.
- Mr G was aware his final salary benefits were valuable and wanted to keep as much of it as possible.
- Mrs G was pushing for a 100% pension sharing order of his final salary benefits.
- She was unwell and this was a realistic aim given her future earnings capacity.
What We Did
- We produced a report showing exactly how valuable the pension benefits were to Mr G.
- In addition, we highlighted how difficult it was for him to build up similar benefits in the group personal pension based on different pension sharing amounts.
- We also showed the total loss of benefits as on pension sharing the benefits for Mrs G had to be transferred out.
- Mr G had a much better understanding of the value of his pension benefits for negotiation purposes.
- At the final hearing Mrs G was awarded 25% of his pension – £62,500.
- His solicitor commented “given the facts of the case it was a good result for him. Your work was really helpful as it concentrated his mind on what he could potentially lose and what he would have to then put back into the pension pot.”
What Our Clients Say...
Mr O’Connor provided me with much needed support and advice...“Mr O’Connor provided me with much needed support and advice when dealing with pension sharing. I only wish his services had come to my attention earlier in the divorce process .I felt his attention to detail and breadth of experience left one feeling you were in safe hands. My heartfelt thanks must also extend to Linda whose efforts and care, were greatly appreciated.”
Do You Have A Question Related To This Case Study?
Use the form below to ask me anything about this case study. I promise that anything you say will be 100% confidential.